de Usoz, a native of Pamplona, Spain,
served as 1st Sergeant in the Spanish Militia under General Bernardo de
Miguel de Usoz and his wife, Martina Odeana, and son Martin, left Pamplona, Spain in the late 1760s. They settled along Bayou Lafourche below Donaldsonville, LA (referred to as Barton) near Palo Alto Plantation. Records indicate Martin was an only child (or only surviving child). Conveyance records dating to 1770 list Ourso members in the Donaldsonville area.
Martin married Catalina Marrero, a native of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands. She departed on 22 October 1778 with her parents, Bartoleme' and Josefa Sosa Marrero and sisters Tomasa and Maria, on the ship, La Victoria. It is highly likely that all Ourso descendants in the USA trace their ancestry to Martin and Catalina.
Martin participated in the fight for American Independence by serving under General Bernardo de Galvez. His burial record from the Church of the Ascension of Our Lord in Donaldsonville states he was a First Sergeant in the Spanish Militia.
|He is also
listed in the Papeles Procedentes de Cuba (Cuban Papers) Legajo 159 and
as translated in the Sons of the American Revolution's, C. Robert
Churchill book, pages 84 and 151 - "Sexta Compania" and spelled as
Martin Ussos (p. 84) and Martin Usos (p. 151).
While the recordation of the name has many
variations - de Usos, de Ussos, Huso, Housos, Urso, Uso, etc - it is
believed that the original spelling was de Usoz, in part to a village of
Usoz being located near Pamplona.
MARTIN F. de USSOS
Martin de Usos y Odeana
On this 7th day of September, 1812, Don Bernardo de Deva Capuchin priest of the parish of Valenzuela, buried in the cemetery of this Church, the remains of Martin de Usos, native of Pamplona, First Sergeant for the King and retired soldier of the Louisiana Regiment, died the
sixth of September at the age of 62, legitimate son of Miguel de Usos and Martina Odeana
and to certify the day month and year of death. Native of Pamplona.
LAND GRANT LOCATION
This township map was approved April 5th, 1843 by the Surveyor General of Louisiana.
All photos are the property of